Today’s Monday Action: Urge Your Massachusetts House Representative To publicly support Attorney General Maura Healey’s defense of Article 97 in court in Pittsfield on 3/31.
FYI: Article 97 is a big deal. Part of the MA constitution, it protects protected lands. It is strong. It is unusual.
It requires a 2/3 majority in BOTH houses to be overturned. Otis State Forest, currently under attack by new gas pipelines, is thus protected–
Kinder Morgan is trying to hammer a spike into Article 97: Tennessee Gas Pipeline Co. is now pressing ahead to begin cutting trees before 3/31 in Otis State Forest and Sandisfield for its Connecticut Expansion Project.
Find your personal State Legislators here.
They all must hear from us. (If your representative is Ellen Story, copy and paste this sample letter; if not, adapt the suggested text below)
Dear Representative Story,I am urgently concerned about climate change. This is the gravest threat facing us all and future generations depend on us to halt it. I oppose all new fossil fuel infrastructure and want a fair price on carbon. Natural gas is mainly composed of methane, which traps heat and has 80 times the effect of carbon dioxide in its first 20 years in the atmosphere, meaning small amounts can have a significant impact on global warming.
Therefore we sincerely urge you to:
1. show public support for Attorney General Maura Healy’s defense of Article 97 in court in Pittsfield on 3/31.
2. please also consider joining us citizens in filing a comment on FERC Docket No. CP14-529 along the lines of:
Thank you for fighting for us and our environment throughout your distinguished career.
YOUR TOWN AND STATE
With Mothers Out Front
Contact: Representative Ellen Story:
The State House:
Boston, MA 02133
Forward Monday Actions today!
Still here? Are you looking for an in-person action?
This is an Action Packed Week for Pipeline Resistance: INFO HERE
• CAN (Climate Action Now) meeting with MOF breakout Mon. 3/28 7pm at the Amherst Unitarian Church
• MOF (Mothers Out Front) Pioneer Valley community meeting Mon. 4/18 6pm in Amherst. RSVP greenzinnia at hotmail dot com
• DPU (Department of Public Utilities) NED pipeline hearing at 195 Federal St., Greenfield, at 7pm Wednesday 3/30. Show solidarity with friends and neighbors whose property rights are under attack, and who will be making statements to the DPU. To carpool contact info.ma.mothersoutfront.org
Don’t let THIS happen to Otis State Forest:
Most of the pristine 3,800-acre Otis State Forest, with its 400-year-old hemlocks and 62-acre Lower Spectacle Pond, was preserved in 2007 in a collaboration between the state and Mass Audubon at a cost of $5.2 million, one of the biggest conservation land deals in Massachusetts history.
Visit our Mothers Out Front webpage for details about other ways to join us in person and online.
Your Community Organizing Team
Mothers Out Front – Pioneer Valley