This Monday Action, for the week of 7/31/17, is brought to you by our friends at Pipeline Awareness Network for the Northeast. Contact Senators Markey and Warren and ask them to oppose the energy bill that would make exporting fracked gas easy. For the sake of the generations to come we have to stop building any new fossil fuel infrastructure.
Congress is trying to rush through a pipeline fast-track bill that expedites Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) terminal approvals (creating “need” for more pipelines), requires increased deference to FERC from state, local and tribal governments, and much more. The House version – H.R. 2910 – just passed last week. The word is that the Senate bill could be voted on early this week, and that Bernie Sanders is so far the only Senator to have spoken out againstit!
Please make a quick call:
Capital switchboard: (202) 224-3121 – they will connect you to your Senators.
Basic message: Please oppose S.1460 – it would fast-track LNG export and pipeline reviews, instead of giving them the additional scrutiny they need! This energy bill moves us in the wrong direction in many ways. The fossil fuel industry doesn’t need more handouts and FERC needs major reform, not more power to do the fossil fuel companies’ bidding.
While phone calls are best, here’s a quick link from Food & Water Watch with an editable form email that has the basics.
You are making the changes we need! Thank you for your effort. Please share this Monday Action with friends and family across the country.
See you next Monday.
In Person Events:
- Thursday 8/3, 5:00pm-7:00pm, Amherst Board of Health Meeting. We’ve asked the Board to sign a letter to the Governor to study the health effects of methane from pipelines. Please come and show that mothers and others care about the health of children and planet. Bangs Center, Room 101. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday 8/4, 4:00-5:30pm, Community Choice Electricity, also known as CCAplus, Meeting and Potluck Dinner, Amherst location. Bring food if you like. After dinner we’ll walk up the hill to Amherst Cinema. Contact Andra amherstamr at gmail dot com.
- Friday 8/4, 7:00pm, An Inconvenient Sequel, Al Gore’s new film, followed by discussion with Ben Hellerstein of Environment Mass. Amherst Cinema.
- Sunday 8/6, 4:30pm-6:00pm, Northampton Mothers Out Front Meeting. At Cultivate & Bloom behind Sylvester’s on Pleasant Street at 20 Hampton Ave, suite 160. Contact email@example.com.
- Monday 8/14, 600pm-7:00pm, Pioneer Valley 100% Renewable Energy Meeting. 7:00pm CAN Legislative Committee. Amherst UU, 121 N. Pleasant St, Amherst. Enter at the side on Kellogg St.
- Monday 8/21, 5:00-7:00, Amherst Mothers Out Front Family PICNIC at Groff Park! Bring the whole family for a potluck picnic and participatory entertainment. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org. In September we’ll resume our 3rd Monday meetings as usual.
- Monday 8/28 7:00-9:00pm, Climate Action Now meeting. Northampton Unitarian Meeting House, Main St., Northampton.
To join any of the Pioneer Valley MOF working groups on Zero Energy buildings, Community Choice Electricity, or home energy efficiency, contact us at email@example.com.
Keep up with other actions for resisting and protecting our communities and climate by following 413 Staying Connected for Action.
Thank you for doing Monday Actions.
See and follow all actions to date on the Monday Action BLOG
Your Pioneer Valley Monday Action Team