Here is your Monday Action for the week of 9/11/17: Tell your State Representative that we need 100% renewable electricity by 2035
[Editor’s Note: Thank you to our guest bloggers from Climate Action Now Western Mass (CAN) for writing about the 100% Renewable Energy bill. As we watch Irma pounding the Carribean, Cuba and Florida this weekend, we rededicate ourselves to minimizing the worst effects of climate change through our actions in Massachusetts.]
This is a CRUCIAL time for Massachusetts legislation.
An Act transitioning Massachusetts to 100 percent renewable energy H.3395/S.1849, will accelerate the growth of clean energy, promote interagency collaboration to achieve 100 percent renewable energy economy-wide, by 2050 (including electricity, heating, transportation, and other sectors), and 100 percent renewable electricity by 2035. It also sets out clear, enforceable goals and requirements to ensure we achieve that objective.
Please take these three important steps:
1. FIND OUT WHO YOUR LEGISLATORS ARE AND THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION HERE. Simply enter your address and zip code.
2. TO SUBMIT TESTIMONY in support of H.3395/S.1849, the 100% Renewable MA Bill, click here. Copy, paste and customize the letter and send it to the emails or addresses listed on the letter. Send a copy to your legislators and to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. MAKE A PHONE CALL TO FOLLOW UP ON YOUR LETTERS OR EMAILS.
Join us on Beacon Hill for a unity rally for clean energy at noon. Then come to the public hearing from 1pm to 5pm before the Telecommunications, Utilities and Energy (TUE) Committee.
RALLY at 12pm
Hearing 1pm – 5pm
24 Beacon St
BONUS: Amplify! Personally ask a friend in another part of the state to do this. Forward this Monday Action to them. State action on climate is all-important now.
For more information. Click here for list of 2017-2018 Bills Endorsed by Climate Action Now, Western MA. Find the text of bills at https://malegislature.gov/Bills.
We need to call our representatives early and often starting NOW, to let them know that climate must be a top priority.
In Person Events:
- Sunday 9/17, 10:30am-12:45pm, Amherst MOF House Party. All welcome. Learn more about Mothers Out Front, meet other concerned people, connect with our work at this discussion and presentation. Please let us know if you need childcare. For info contact: ellentmiddleton at gmail dot com.
- Monday 9/18, 6:00-8:00pm, Amherst Mothers Out Front Monthly Community Meeting. Light dinner, children welcome, eat, learn and take action. Same place as usual. Contact: email@example.com.
- Tuesday 9/19, 12:00pm RALLY, 1:00pm-5:00pm, Legislative Hearing. State House, Boston. Come show your support by helping us pack the room. Interested in testifying? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday and Sunday 9/23-24, 10:00am – 5:00pm, North Quabbin Garlic and Arts Festival. Join MOF in the Climate Tent with CAN and Leaf Boat Puppets for a parade and performance both days at 3pm. Can you help out before, during or after the Festival? Contact Felicia.Mednick at verizon dot net.
- Sunday 9/24, 4:30pm-6:00pm, Northampton Mothers Out Front Meeting. We’re back to meeting at the Smith College Campus Center. Contact email@example.com.
- Monday 9/25, 6:00pm-9:00pm CAN Monthly Meeting and Pioneer Valley 100% Renewable Energy. Amherst Unitarian Society.
To join any of the Pioneer Valley MOF working groups on Zero Energy buildings, Community Choice Electricity, or home energy efficiency, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep up with other actions for resisting and protecting our communities and climate by following 413 Staying Connected for Action.
Thank you for doing Monday Actions.
See and follow all actions to date on the Monday Action BLOG
Your Pioneer Valley Monday Action Team