Here’s your Monday Action for the week of 6/12/17:
The White House and some members of Congress are working on legislation to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR, in Alaska) for oil drilling as well as other public lands that are currently protected.
ANWR is “the wildest place in America” and it makes no sense economically to develop the ANWR for oil. The Trump administration is examining a broad range of public lands for potential other uses.
This week’s Monday Action is to contact Senator Markey and ask him to oppose any legislation that is put forward to transfer national parks to state ownership, or to open up public lands to resource extraction.
Dear Senator Markey,
I am urgently concerned about climate change. This is the defining issue which future generations depend on us to solve. I commend you for being bold in fighting climate change and promoting clean energy for the health and safety of all our children.
The White House and some members of Congress, including Senator Murkowski from Alaska, are working on legislation to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for oil drilling. President Trump is also looking into redefining other public lands, including 27 National Monuments.
With our children’s future hanging in the balance, we can’t risk such foolish actions. It is a fatal mistake to promote more fossil fuel use, and also to destroy natural environments that were protected for future generations and are the best and last areas of climate resiliency.
Please lead the opposition to any legislation that is put forward to transfer national parks or monuments to state ownership, or to open up public lands to any form of resource extraction.
Thank you for your hard work on behalf of the children of Massachusetts, the country, and the world.
With Mothers Out Front
Contact Senator Markey:
By Phone: 413-785-4610
255 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
You did it!
Thank you! See you next Monday!
In Person Events:
- TODAY! Monday 6/12, 6:00pm-8:00, Clean Energy Future Tour of Senators, Western New England University’s School of Law, Moot Court Room, 1st floor. Meet at 4:45pm at Sheldon Field, Northampton, or at Atkins, South Amherst, to carpool. Testify or support, but let’s show up and tell the Senators that we want to go 100% renewable and how! firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday 6/13, 10:00am-12:00pm, Zero Energy Amherst Town Buildings, Discussion with Darren Port from Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships (NEEP). Unitarian Society of Amherst, 121 N. Pleasant St, Amherst (enter off Kellogg St).
- Monday 6/19, 6:00-8:00, Amherst Mothers Out Front monthly meeting. Light dinner served. All welcome, including children. RSVP Madeleine greenzinnia at hotmail dot com. We meet every 3rd Monday, same time/same place.
- Tuesday 6/20, 1-5pm Committee Hearing at the State House on several bills including Carbon Pricing bills. Please sign up here.
- Sunday 6/25, 4:30pm-6:00pm, Northampton Mothers Out Front Meeting. New location! at the offices of “Cultivate & Bloom” 20 Hampton Ave, Suite 160 (behind Sylvester’s). Contact email@example.com.
Keep up with other actions for resisting and protecting our communities and climate by following 413 Staying Connected for Action.
Thank you for doing Monday Actions.
See and follow all actions to date on the Monday Action BLOG
Your Monday Action Team