MOF protesting Weymouth, MA compressor station.
Here’s your Monday Action for the week of 5/29/17.
The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) revealed that they routinely ask companies to edit draft permits.
It makes sense for the DEP to contact applicants to verify technical issues; however the DEP’s own regulations do not allow them to hand the draft to the company to alter in any way they choose.
We learned that DEP gave Spectra Energy the draft of their pollution permit for building a compressor station in Weymouth. Spectra edited the document in substantive ways that lowered the pollution standards they would have to meet, increasing the dangers to residents who live near gas infrastructure. Mothers Out Front and other pipeline opponents met with DEP when this news came out to demand the Baker administration revoke the air quality permit to protect the health and safety of the residents.
This week’s action is to demand that Governor Baker revoke the permit and put an end to this practice of turning a blind eye to a serious conflict of interest. You can use the sample words below as talking points or in an email. Make it personal.
See In Person Events below to join us in actions.
Dear Governor Baker,
I am urgently concerned about climate change. The children whose future I have promised to safeguard depend on me, on us, to swiftly, justly, and completely transition from fossil fuels to a clean energy economy.
Your DEP is allowing gas companies to edit drafts of permits which they have applied for. The DEP’s own regulations only allow the department to contact the applicant to verify that the permit is technically correct, not to hand them the permit to alter and edit out environmental standards they don’t like.
You are responsible for a fair and honest process and that didn’t happen here. Revoke the air pollution permit granted to Spectra for the Weymouth compressor station. Our children depend on your administration to ensure they have a safe and clean environment to grow up in.
Stop the unethical practice of letting gas companies rewrite draft permits behind the public’s back. Be a climate hero and stop allowing gas companies endanger our children’s health and future.
With Mothers Out Front
Governor Charlie Baker
To write a letter:
Massachusetts State House
Office of the Governor
Boston, MA 02133
You did it, thank you! You are making the changes we need! Please share Monday Actions with friends.
See you next Monday.
In Person Events:
- Wednesday 5/31, 1:00pm-3:00pm, Zero Net Energy for Amherst Town Buildings, Webinar and discussion of plans to reach this goal. Arrive at 12:45pm, Unitarian Society of Amherst, 121 N. Pleasant St, Amherst (enter off Kellogg St).
- Saturday 6/3, 10:00am – 2:00pm, Build a Better World, MOF and CAN are tabling in Northampton at this Forbes Library family fun event to highlight the work of organizations in the area. Let us know if you can help table! firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday 6/4, 4:30pm-6:00pm, Northampton Mothers Out Front Weekly Meeting. Location TBD. Contact email@example.com.
- Monday 6/5, 4:30pm, 100% Renewable Towns – All Workgroups Meeting at the Unitarian Society of Amherst, 121 N. Pleasant St, Amherst (enter off Kellogg St). 6:00pm dinner at Pita Pockets. 7:00pm Climate Action Now Legislative Committee Meeting.
- Thursday 6/8, 1:00pm-2:00pm, Zero Net Energy for Amherst Town Buildings meeting. For location, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday 6/9, 4:30pm-6:00pm, Community Choice Energy (Aggregation plus). Let’s work together to go 100% Renewable with local energy in our region. Meeting in Hadley. Contactinfo.email@example.com.
- Monday 6/12, 6:00pm-8:00, Clean Energy Future Tour of Senators, Western New England University’s School of Law — J. Pellegrini Moot Court Room, 1st floor. Meet at 4:45pm at Sheldon Field, Northampton, to carpool. Testify or support, but let’s show up and tell the Senators that we want to go 100% renewable and how! Let us know if you want to learn how to testify: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday 6/19, 6:00-8:00, Amherst Mothers Out Front monthly meeting. Light dinner served. All welcome, including children. RSVP Madeleine greenzinnia at hotmail dot com. We meet every 3rd Monday, same time/same place.
Keep up with other actions for resisting and protecting our communities and climate by following 413 Staying Connected for Action.
Thank you for doing Monday Actions.