Your Monday Action for the week of February 19th is to ask Governor Baker how his administration is planning to get us off fossil fuels.
Just do one simple thing. Make this call. Then make it a habit and do it with friends. It’s pleasing and effective to start your week this way. Thanks for speaking up.
YOUR MONDAY ACTION:
Call Governor Baker
Call: (617) 725-4005 or (888) 870-7770 (in state)
Email: email form
Letter: Massachusetts State House, Office of the Governor, Room 280, Boston, MA 02133
I am urgently concerned about climate change and the children I love look to me to leave them a livable climate. I expect the Department of PUBLIC Utilities (DPU) to work for me and my family by meeting its obligations under the Global Warming Solutions Act and the Green Communities Act to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.
Your DPU needs to serve the public by facing the reality of climate change squarely and seriously evaluate the impacts and alternatives whenever new gas infrastructure is contemplated. There are cost-effective ways to reduce and manage energy demand including deep energy retrofits of buildings, conservation, and conversion to electric and renewable energy sources.
Future generations very urgently depend on you to lead on climate issues.
YOUR NAME, YOUR ADDRESS
With Mothers Out Front (and I VOTE)
You did your Monday Action, well done!
Thanks for checking in each week and doing what you can to leave a healthy climate for the coming generations.
You are our inspiration.
Want to do even more? Help bring DPU to Northampton to listen to the people who will be affected by the Columbia Gas Plan and Berkshire Gas contracts. Our legislators have asked, but no hearing is scheduled yet. Call the Hearing Officers:
1. David Biele at (617)305-3653: I am calling to request that a public comment hearing be held in Northampton on the Columbia Gas expansion plans, which includes Docket Number 17-172 and on Berkshire Gas’ proposed contracts, in Docket Number 17-145.
2. Stephen Bright at (617)305-3731: I am calling to request that a public comment hearing be held in Northampton on the Columbia Gas expansion plans, which includes Docket Number 17-166.
You can still add your name to the comment to DPU from MOF supporters.
Please join us for a talk on “Zero Energy Buildings and Communities: The Landscape of the Future“
Tuesday, February 20th, 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Unitarian Universalist Society of Amherst
121 N Pleasant St., Amherst
Darren Port brings a broad perspective to the critical role of towns and cities in reducing carbon emissions through building energy performance standards and clean energy development. In his role as the Buildings and Community Solutions Manager at Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships (NEEP), Port is paving the way for the proliferation of zero energy buildings throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region. His presentation will draw connections between Zero Energy buildings, local energy resources, resilience and community-wide energy management.
Sponsored by Amherst Mothers Out Front and Climate Action Now. Co-sponsored by the Town office of Sustaining Amherst, Amherst League of Women Voters, and Western Mass Community Choice Energy.
In Person Events:
- Monday 2/19, 6:00-8:00pm, CANCELLED: Amherst Mothers Out Front Monthly Community Meeting. Come to dinner and the event on the 20th.
- Tuesday 2/20, 6:00pm, Dinner together at Miss Saigon, followed by the ZE presentation across the street:
- Tuesday 2/20, 7:00pm-8:30pm, Zero Energy Buildings and Communities: The Landscape of the Future, a talk by Darren Port of Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships. Presented by the Zero Energy Workgroup of MOF and CAN. Amherst Unitarian Society, 121 N Pleasant St, Amherst. Contact: email@example.com.
- Sunday 2/25, 1:45pm-4:00pm, House Party in Pelham, learn about Mothers Out Front Front’s approach and current initiatives in Pelham, meet other compassionate, concerned mothers and others. RSVP to ellentmiddleton at gmail dot com.
- Sunday 2/25, 4:30-6:00pm, Northampton Mothers Out Front Meeting. Smith College Campus Center. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday 2/26, 6:30pm, CAN Legislative Calling Party, 7:00pm-9:00pm, CAN General Meeting, Northampton Unitarian Society, 220 Main St., Northampton
Check out our local MOF page for more ways to get involved here.
To join any of the Pioneer Valley MOF working groups on Zero Energy buildings, Community Choice Electricity, or home energy efficiency, contact us at email@example.com.
Keep up with other actions for resisting and protecting our communities and climate by following 413 Staying Connected for Action.