Monday Action for week of 1/30/17:
Do you hear the ROAR? That’s the full-throated growl of millions of Mother Bears saying “We will do anything to defend all that’s precious to us.” And we’re not going to wait for the next generation to grow up. It’s our responsibility and we need to solve it NOW.
Let’s focus that outrage on Scott Pruit, an outrageous nominee for the Environmental Protection Agency.
You can use the sample talking points or copy-and-paste the text below. But Senator Rosenberg suggested at Saturday’s climate forum (attended by 750 people!), that personalizing your message makes it count a lot more. Better yet, call if you can.
Dear Senator Markey,
I am urgently concerned about climate change. This is the defining issue which future generations depend on us to solve. I commend you for being bold in fighting climate change and promoting clean energy for the health and safety of all our children.
Thank you for introducing the resolution for 100% clean electricity by 2050. Yet, it seems that every week, new research finds that climate change is advancing more quickly than scientists had predicted. Any movement towards 100% renewables is welcome, but it’s become clear that we need to move much more quickly than we previously thought: 2050 is too late!
To avoid the worst scenario, we need to achieve 100% clean energy by 2035 as proposed in new legislation filed in Massachusetts.
The election of a president hostile to clean energy and pushing fossil fuels means that we are losing precious time to halt climate change. His choice of Pruitt to head the EPA is a move in the opposite direction. We, and the children we protect, no longer have time for missteps. I urge you to vote “no” on Pruitt’s nomination. Our children’s future depends on our leaders making the right choices NOW. Before they grow up.
YOUR TOWN AND STATE
With Mothers Out Front
Contact Senator Markey:
By Phone: 413-785-4610
255 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
You did it!
Thank you! See you next Monday!
Still here? Want to help pass more bills on climate change?
State bills must gather their cosponsors by Friday 2/3. Help strengthen legislation for climate by asking your State Rep to cosponsor the bills listed here. You can join Climate Action Now in Boston on Wednesday, 2/1 to ask in person and help deliver to every legislator the plan CAN has developed for getting to 100% Renewable.
In Person Events:
- Wednesday 2/1, CAN Lobby Day at the Statehouse, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday, 2/8, 2:00pm, MA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Hearings on GHG Emission Reduction Rules, Springfield Central Library, 220 State Street, Springfield. Testify at the DEP hearing and help control CO2 and Methane emissions. Coaching available to help you prepare your testimony. Contact Andra email@example.com
- Sunday, 2/12, 1:00-3:00pm, 100% Renewable Amherst Meeting, Location TBD. We’re honing in on making Amherst the model for deep energy efficiency and community financing of new renewable infrastructure. Join us in deciding and planning our strategy. Contact Andra firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday 2/20, 5:30 – 7:30, MOF Family Potluck. We’re not having a meeting as usual on the 3rd Monday in February because many people will be away during school break. But you’re invited to a potluck with your family on. Location TBD. RSVP Andra email@example.com.
- Saturday, 2/25, 2:00-4:15pm, Amherst MOF House Party. Join with other concerned people at this introduction to Mothers Out Front. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up with other actions for resisting and protecting our communities and climate by following 413 Staying Connected for Action.
Thank you for doing Monday Actions.
See and follow all actions to date on the Monday Action BLOG
Your Monday Action Team