The omnibus energy bill is expected out of the House Ways and Means committee TODAY, Monday, and there is a very short window for amendments to be filed before the full bill goes for a vote on Wednesday.
Today’s Action: Ask your State Representative to support an amendment that clearly prohibits electric ratepayer funding of gas infrastructure (a definitive ban of the “pipeline tax“).
Light Up The Map: If your rep, like Ellen Story, is already committed to forbidding a pipeline tax, tell her instead that you’re enlisting the help of your friends across the state. The omnibus energy bill comes at a critical time for the planet and you are the ones who can bring it by lighting up your networks: Ask at least one person to do today’s Monday Action: For phone numbers for this urgent action use This Link from the State
To help you think of friends in MA towns, see below the Special List of Legislators to target.
Calls are critical today. But if that’s a no go for you, then cut and paste the suggested letter below and email it to your State Representative and to one person in another part of the state.
Dear State Legislator,
I am urgently concerned about climate change. This is the gravest threat facing us all and future generations depend on us to halt it. I want to see Massachusetts get 100% of its energy from clean, renewable sources like solar and wind.
I therefore need the new omnibus energy bill to prohibit public or electric ratepayer financing of new natural gas infrastructure.
We also need:
• At least two thousand megawatts of offshore wind (or NY will grab it from us- it’s federal waters off our shores and NY needs the power. 2K MW is enough for infrastructure to be built in MA. That means jobs!).
• Increase Renewable Portfolio Standard to 2% a year.(this means that we’ll get local green jobs twice as fast as now, and it means the industry can count on investing in twice as much infrastructure -because it is currently at 1% growth).
• Environmental standards for massive transmission projects (Gov. Baker is pushing big hydro and that means tearing up our landscape to bring power from Canada).
Thank you for fighting for us and our environment. The children thank you.
YOUR TOWN AND STATE
With Mothers Out Front
State Representative Ellen Story
To call: 617-722-2012
To write a letter:
State House, Room 277
Boston, MA 02133
And, if you can:
State Senator Stan Rosenberg
To call: (617) 722-1500
To write a letter:
State House Office
24 Beacon Street, Room 332,
Boston, MA 02133
Special List with TOWNS (Know anyone in these towns? Call them today!) of the Legislators to target:
Remember to contact your elected officials often,
they need to hear from YOU and your mother, father, best friend, colleagues…you get the picture.
(NEED A CLICK: You can also keep sharing this generalonline petition. It auto-directs to your personal state senators, state representatives and the Governor.)
Enter your Town and State to look up your State Senatorand State Representative HERE:
Upcoming In-Person Events:
- June 26: MOF House Party at in Shutesbury. 12:45-3pm. RSVP to LightUpTheMap (at) gmail (dot) com. Childcare available if you let us know.
Fix the Gas Leaks Campaign: For details including locations RSVP to amherstamr (at) gmail (dot) com
- June 6 Planning Meeting for marking every gas leak in Northampton 7:30 pm Forbes St. Noho
- June 18 and 25 Art Work Days: Help Beth Fairservis with puppets and props for street theater action on July 2
- June 20 Planning meeting Massasoit St. 7 pm.
- June 27-July 2 Children’s camp to prepare for July 2
- July 2 “The World We Love” and launch of Gas Leaks Flagging.
Thanks for all you do. Onward!
Visit our Mothers Out Front webpage for details about other ways to join us in person and online.